Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Renovation work in Poland finds 60 Jewish tombstones near old Gestapo building

The tombstones were found during renovations in the area; historians and Catholic priests are asking the landowners to stop construction.

A shul in Izbica, a village in Krasnystaw County of the Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland. Credit: Melecheitan via Wikimedia Commons.
A shul in Izbica, a village in Krasnystaw County of the Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland. Credit: Melecheitan via Wikimedia Commons.

Dozens of Jewish tombstones were discovered this week in the Polish town of Radzyń Podlaski (also known as Radin), about 35 miles from Lublin, near a building that had been used as headquarters for the Gestapo during the years of World War II and the Holocaust.

The tombstones were found during renovations in the area. Historians and Catholic priests have taken control of the site and are asking the landowners to stop construction.

“We’ve moved the gravestones to a secure place,” Zbigniew Smolko told Haaretz. The journalist, historian and vice president of the local council said that the Nazis took “tombstones from Jewish cemeteries and used them to pave a courtyard.”

Meir Bulka, who heads the organization J-nerations that works to preserve Polish-Jewish heritage, said: “This is a sensational discovery. About 60 tombstones were found here— most of them intact—and the inscriptions on them are legible.”

The town had once been the center of the Radzyń Chassidic dynasty; many descendants now live in the United States and Bnei Brak, Israel.

Rep. Rick Allen (R-Ga.) said that “across the nation and around the world, Jewish people continue to face discrimination, intimidation and violence.”
The two men were arrested on Monday after defacing a public park bench with a swastika and the words “Adolf was here.”
The late Jewish representative from Massachusetts “approached Israel as a liberal Zionist: engaged, critical and deeply committed,” William Daroff, CEO of the Conference of Presidents, told JNS.
“Protecting civil rights of every American remains a core responsibility of the Department of Justice,” Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche stated.
One person reportedly sustained light injuries in the vehicular assault.
“They came with a lot of pride—look how they look now,” said Israel’s National Security Minister.