Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Germany charges Nazi concentration-camp guard, 95, with war crimes

The suspect is being tested to determine whether he is fit to stand trial.

Stutthof Concentration Camp
The entrance to Stutthof concentration camp in Poland. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.

A German court announced on Monday that a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration-camp guard was charged with war crimes during the Holocaust.

The suspect was a guard at the Stutthof concentration camp in a wooded area near Danzig (now Gdansk, Poland) in what could be one of the last trials against Nazis in the Holocaust, the AFP reported.

The guard is accused of being part of the murder of several hundred people, a spokesman for the district court in Wuppertal told AFP.

The suspect is being tested to determine whether he is fit enough to stand trial. He was assigned to work at the camp at the age of 19; as such, the case would be held in a juvenile court.

The report also noted that last week, German prosecutors asked for a three-year jail sentence for 93-year-old Bruno Dey, a former guard at Stutthof who they said was “without a doubt” complicit in murdering more than 5,000 people.

Season five of the award-winning series was rewritten to address the Oct. 7, 2023, attack.
A Pakistani source said Islamabad had passed a revised proposal to Washington as talks remain stalled and Trump threatens renewed military action.
Tel Aviv University researchers developed a method that may remove excess glutamate from the bloodstream in the first hours after injury, aiming to reduce the chain reaction of damage.
“There are very few peoples whose capital today is the same as it was 3,000 years ago,” the Israeli prime minister noted.
Washington previously imposed on International Criminal Court judges for investigating U.S. citizens and U.S. allies.
Implementation is scheduled to begin in September and will be phased in gradually.