(March 14, 2019 / JNS) Two rockets were fired from Gaza towards Tel Aviv on Thursday night, according to the Israel Defense Forces, activating rocket sirens throughout central Israel.
The sirens were last activated in Tel Aviv two years ago, but ended up being a false alarm.
“Two rockets were launched from the Gaza Strip towards Israeli territory. The alert and warning systems operated as required,” the IDF said. “No interceptions were made by aerial defense systems. No damage or injuries were reported. There are no special instructions for the civilian home front.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to conduct an emergency security meeting in Tel Aviv, where the army is headquartered.
This is the first time since ”Operation Protective Edge” in 2014 that central Israel had been targeted by Gaza terrorists.
It remains unclear what terrorist group in the Gaza Strip was behind the rocket attack.
Hamas, which controls the Gaza, and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad have been behind the majority of rocket attacks on southern Israel in recent years. Although both terror groups told Israeli media outlets that they were not behind the attack. At the same time, smaller Salafi terror groups also operate in the Strip as well and have targeted Israel in the past.