Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Palestinian Authority recalls Bahrain envoy following deal with Israel

“The UAE and Bahrain are contributing to Trump’s presidential campaign at the expense of the inalienable rights of the people of Palestine,” tweeted PLO Secretary-General Saeb Erekat.

The Palestinian flag. Credit: Makbula Nassar via Wikimedia Commons.
The Palestinian flag. Credit: Makbula Nassar via Wikimedia Commons.

The Palestinian Authority recalled its envoy to Manama after Bahrain and Israel announced a U.S.-brokered peace deal on Friday, undoing a decades-long policy not to establish ties with the Jewish state until a Palestinian state is created.

Bahrain followed the United Arab Emirates, which agreed last month to normalize ties with Israel.

“The UAE and Bahrain are contributing to Trump’s presidential campaign at the expense of the inalienable rights of the people of Palestine. The normalization race is not the answer to the achievement of Palestinian freedom and independence,” tweeted Palestine Liberation Organization Secretary-General Saeb Erekat. “It’s an affirmation to the Palestinian leadership and people, in Palestine and around the world, of their approval of normalizing Israel’s annexation of occupied Jerusalem and the reality of apartheid it has created in Palestine.”

In the Oval Office on Friday, shortly following the announcement of the Israel-Bahrain deal, U.S. President Donald Trump said these normalization deals will help the Palestinians.

“You’re going to have the Palestinians in a very good position, they’re going to want to come in because all of their friends are in,” he said.

The president condemned violence “by a lawless mob in Judea and Samaria,” prompting criticism from the national security minister.
Days earlier, a Jewish security group warned police about a heightened security risk at the Chanukah event.
The prominent Jewish Democrat says she will use her “seniority and clout” in a district that has long elected Black representatives.
The first such legal move on behalf of a Palestinian against the terror group at the International Criminal Court has gone unanswered since December.
A 25-year-old faces hate crime charges after two Jewish men were attacked near a Hendon shul.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Washington’s top diplomat said.