(December 6, 2019 / JNS) Israel signed an agreement on Thursday to sell the Czech Republic eight Iron Dome air-defense systems in a contract worth $125 million, announced Israel’s Defense Ministry.
The Israeli Aerospace Industries subsidiary ELTA will provide eight ELM-2084 Iron Dome multi-mission radars, which have air-surveillance, air-defense and artillery capabilities.
The radar systems assist in the monitoring, tracking and interception of several airborne projectiles simultaneously at an altitude between 330 feet to 10,000 feet, and cover a wide area of about 155 miles, according to The Times of Israel.
They are expected to be delivered to the Czech Republic during 2021-23, and will be compatible with Czech and NATO command and control systems.
Both countries will work on the production of the systems, with 70 percent being made in Israel and the other 30 percent by Czech industries, working on design, manufacturing, assembly, integration, testing and life-time maintenance. Certain security components will be manufactured locally, The Times of Israel reported.
The deal was signed at the Ministry of Defense headquarters in Prague by Czech Defense Minister Lubomir Metnar; Deputy Minister of Defense Filip Říha; and Brig. Gen. (res.) Yair Kulas the head of SIBAT, Israel’s ministry of defense export and defense cooperation division.
Kulas said the deal “is an expression of confidence in the capabilities of the Israeli defense establishment and in our excellent defense industries to address the threats that are plaguing the entire world. We hope this agreement opens the door for further cooperation with the Czech Republic and additional NATO countries.”
Support Jewish Journalism
with 2020 Vision
JNS is more than just another news website and syndication service. It is an organization devoted to nonstop reporting, and telling the truth about Israel and Jewish issues unburdened by the biases and institutional blinders that distort so much of what we read, hear and see about these topics elsewhere in the secular and even Jewish press.
At JNS, you get the facts about Israel and Jewish issues without the bias that so often tilts the argument against the Jewish state. JNS articles and columns are republished every week by digital outlets and print newspapers across the globe. But in the age of round-the-clock news coverage, advertising and syndication revenues are not enough to support our continued growth. We need your financial help to keep JNS on target as we continue our fair and accurate reporting.
Please help us take JNS to the next level with a tax-deductible sponsorship, either on a recurring monthly basis. Jewish News Syndicate is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization.