Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Duke University resolves anti-Semitic complaint following conference on campus

“Conflict Over Gaza: People, Politics and Possibilities” reportedly used $5,000 of taxpayer funds from the U.S. Education Department.

Perkins Library at Duke University in Durham, N.C. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.
Perkins Library at Duke University in Durham, N.C. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.

Duke University has resolved a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) in the aftermath of an anti-Semitic and anti-Israel conference last year.

“Conflict Over Gaza: People, Politics and Possibilities” reportedly used $5,000 of taxpayer funds from the U.S. Education Department.

The resolution agreement required Duke to issue a statement by Jan. 30, condemning discrimination, including that which is anti-Semitic, in addition to submit to OCR an updated version of the school’s Policy on Prohibited Discrimination, Harassment and Related Misconduct.

The updated policy “must provide a description of the forms of anti-Semitism that can manifest in the university environment,” according to the agreement.

Kimberly Hewitt, Duke’s vice president for institutional equity and chief diversity officer, emailed a statement to the university community on Jan. 29.

“Simply put, the university does not tolerate anti-Semitism, and I encourage any member of the community to report when such conduct occurs,” said Hewitt in her statement, which encouraged Duke members to report anti-Semitic and sexual misconduct to the Office of Institutional Equity and the Office of Student Conduct, respectively.

Duke is also mandated to host a meeting during the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years permitting university members to discuss misconduct. The specific dates of the meetings have not yet been determined.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.