Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Illinois teen charged with hate crime for anti-Semitic messages on school property

Three Class 4 felony charges were filed against the 16-year-old boy: disorderly conduct involving a threat to a school, criminal defacement of school property and a hate crime.

Springfield High School in Springfield, Ill. Source: Springfield School District.
Springfield High School in Springfield, Ill. Source: Springfield School District.

A teenage student at Springfield High School in Illinois was arrested last week and is facing charges after anti-Semitic writings were found on school property.

Sangamon County State’s Attorney Dan Wright said three Class 4 felony charges were filed this week against the 16-year-old boy: disorderly conduct involving a threat to a school, criminal defacement of school property and a hate crime.

A hearing was held for the student in juvenile court on Monday. He is being detained at the Sangamon County Juvenile Detention Center pending a psychological threat assessment and a further court hearing.

“My office will continue to prosecute those who commit crimes by reason of the actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, citizenship, immigration status, or national origin of another individual or group of individuals,” said Wright.

Executive director of the Jewish Federation of Springfield Nancy Sage said officials from Springfield School District 186 contacted her regarding the incident; she also spoke with Wright.

“Any incident of anti-Semitism is terribly upsetting,” Sage said on Tuesday. “We always hope that in Springfield, we will never have to be confronted [with such an incident], but when [we are], we always feel the support of the community.”

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.