Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

McGill board rejects motion for Jewish student to nix Israel trip or be impeached

Jordyn Wright, a second-year science student, labeled the motion as anti-Semitic and discriminatory. It was also criticized by the McGill administration, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, the Anti-Defamation League and hundreds of McGill students.

McGill University arts building. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.
McGill University arts building. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.

McGill University’s student union board rejected on Monday a motion for a Jewish student to cancel her planned trip to Israel at the end of the month or be impeached.

Jordyn Wright, a second-year science student, labeled the motion as anti-Semitic and discriminatory. It was also criticized by the McGill administration, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, the Anti-Defamation League and hundreds of McGill students.

Wright said in a Facebook post that she is “outraged and disgusted, but not surprised” by the attempt by the Student Society of McGill University (SSMU) to give her the boot for going on the “Face to Face” trip to the Jewish state sponsored by Hillel at the end of the month.

She called the push to oust her from the legislative council and board of directors as “anti-Semitic.”

The trip includes visiting Palestinian territories in the West Bank, so she was even more surprised by the move.

The incident surrounding Wright followed the McGill student newspaper earlier this month publishing an editorial falsely describing Zionism as a “colonial movement,” a “racist attitude” and “a violent practice,” and advised students who wanted to learn more about Zionism to refer to a leading BDS website for more information.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.