Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Zarif: If Europe’s ‘improper behavior’ continues, Iran to withdraw from NPT

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif: Its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal “are finished” • Ukraine to push Iran to deliver black boxes from passenger plane shot down by Iran’s military.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. Credit: Marc Müller via Wikimedia Commons.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. Credit: Marc Müller via Wikimedia Commons.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Monday that Iran would not take any more steps to reduce its commitments to the 2015 nuclear deal, but that if the Europeans continue their “improper behavior” against Iran, it would withdraw from the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

“The steps of reducing commitments are finished, but if the Europeans continue their improper behavior or send Iran’s file to the Security Council, we will withdraw from the NPT,” said Zarif, according to Reuters.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi took a more conciliatory tone, saying on Monday that Tehran has not ruled out talks to end the nuclear dispute.

Any further move by Iran to scale back its commitments under the nuclear deal would depend on actions by other parties, said Mousavi, according to Reuters.

Tehran announced on Sunday that it was reconsidering its cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) following the triggering last week of the nuclear deal’s dispute resolution mechanism by the United Kingdom, France and Germany.

Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said, “We state openly that if the European powers, for any reason, adopt an unfair approach in using the dispute mechanism, we will seriously reconsider our cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency.”

Meanwhile, on Monday, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Vadym Prystaiko told reporters at a meeting with a visiting Iranian delegation that Ukraine is going to push Iran to deliver the black boxes of a Ukrainian passenger plane shot down by the Iranian military on Jan. 8.

“[Iran’s] main task is to apologize and acknowledge what happened. We hope that we can go a little further than just political discussions and discuss practical problems. Among them in particular is the return of the black boxes,” said Prystaiko, according to Reuters.

Iran said on Sunday that it was still analyzing the black boxes and denied a report that it planned to hand them over to Ukraine.

An American Jewish Committee spokesman told JNS that the group is “grateful for the severity with which the Justice Department is handling this case.”
NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.