Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Canada pledges $750,000 to groups supporting survivors of sexual violence on Oct. 7

“We believe Israeli women,” said Mélanie Joly, the Canadian foreign affairs minister. “We stand with them in their fight for justice.”

Canadian flag waving with Parliament buildings in the background. Credit: DD Images/Shutterstock.
Canadian flag waving with Parliament buildings in the background. Credit: DD Images/Shutterstock.

Mélanie Joly, Canada’s minister of foreign affairs, wrote earlier this week that Canada will provide the equivalent of about $750,000 “to organizations who are supporting survivors of sexual violence committed by Hamas on Oct. 7.”

“We believe Israeli women, and we stand with them in their fight for justice,” Joly wrote on March 11. “Today, I sat down with the first lady of Israel Michal Herzog to discuss the sexual violence committed by Hamas on Oct. 7 and our support of survivors.”

Joly added that the country is offering the support of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in looking into the crimes.

The minister drew criticism for her comments.

“If you actually believed Israeli women, you wouldn’t have voted for a ceasefire that rewards Hamas terrorists for their grotesque and horrific acts of sexual violence against Israeli women,” wrote Honest Reporting Canada. “You also wouldn’t have resumed funding to UNRWA, a key organization that helped Hamas commit the OCt. 7 massacre of murdering 1,200+ Israelis and kidnapping 240+ hostages into Gaza.”

Mark Dubowitz, CEO of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, wrote to Joly that “your actions speak louder than your words.”

“But you just restored Canadian funding for UNRWA whose employees participated in Oct. 7 massacres and many of whom are Hamas members,” Dubowitz added.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.