Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Report: Terrorists behind Jerusalem pizza bombing received more than $910K

The family of the suicide-bomber has received $53,689, while the bombmaker has collected $213,848. Ahlam Tamimi, who planned the attack, had been awarded $51,836.

Sbarro Pizzeria Bombing 2001
The aftermath of the suicide bombing at the Sbarro pizzeria in Jerusalem on Aug. 9, 2001. Photo by Flash90.

The terrorists behind the suicide-bombing at a Sbarro pizzeria 18 years ago have received $910,823 from the Palestinian Authority, according to a Palestinian Media Watch report released on Thursday.

The bombing killed 15 people, including two Americans, and injured around 130 others.

The family of the suicide-bomber behind the Aug. 9, 2001, attack, Izz Al-Din Al-Masri, has been one of the recipients of P.A. rewards.

According to the report, Al-Masri’s family has received $53,689 overall, while the bombmaker Abdullah Barghouti has collected $213,848.

Ahlam Tamimi, who planned the attack, has shown no remorse, saying she has “no regrets.”

Tamimi had been awarded $51,836 until she was released from prison, as part of a 2011 prisoner exchange that included Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit’s release from Hamas captivity, when she then escaped to Jordan.

Tamimi is on America’s “Most Wanted Terrorist” list, but the United States has been unable to secure her extradition as a 1995 extradition agreement was not ratified by Jordan’s government.

The Palestinian Authority allots $7,321 monthly to the Sbarro terrorists and their families, per the report.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.