Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Outrage follows German pizzeria banning Israeli customers

The Jewish state’s embassy in Berlin decries what feels like a return to the 1930s.

The Fürth city center looking toward Nuremberg, March 1, 2020. Photo by Kamran Salimi via Wikimedia Commons.
The Fürth city center looking toward Nuremberg, March 1, 2020. Photo by Kamran Salimi via Wikimedia Commons.

A pizzeria in the German city of Fürth, Bavaria, is banning Israelis in protest against the ongoing war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip, in the second such antisemitic incident in the country in as many weeks.

The move sparked outrage, with the local Jewish community in the southeastern state denouncing the move as a rerun of the antisemitism of Nazi Germany, while the Israeli embassy in Berlin also stated that it seemed like a return to the 1930s.

“We believe that children should not be harmed under any circumstances,” a sign posted at the entrance to Pizza Zulu read, according to an image circulating on social media. “We will not remain silent like the rest of the world. ... We have decided to protest and will no longer welcome Israelis in the restaurant. We will be happy to welcome them again when they decide to open their eyes, ears and hearts.”

“Such exclusion is simply shameful and horrific,” the chairwoman of the Jewish Community of Fürth, Julia Tschekalina, told the dpa (Deutsche Presse-Agentur) news agency. The Jewish leader said it was reminiscent of the antisemitism of nine decades ago in the lead-up to the Holocaust. “That’s how it started back then, too,” she added.

“The 1930s are back, this time in Fürth. This is neither a protest nor a misunderstanding. This is crystal-clear antisemitism. That’s how it started back then: step by step, sign by sign,” the Israeli embassy in Berlin said in a statement on X.

The incident comes a week after a shop owner in the northern German town of Flensburg hung a sign in his establishment’s window reading “Jews are forbidden here.”

Earlier this month, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz cautioned that criticism of Israel was increasingly being used as a pretext for stoking hatred against Jews, noting that antisemitism had “become louder, more open, more brazen, more violent almost every day” since the Hamas-led massacre on Oct. 7, 2023, that triggered the war in Gaza.

See more from JNS Staff
Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove, of Park Avenue Synagogue, told JNS that he will address “Yizkor, memory and revelation,” rather than politics, during Shavuot morning services.
“The bill will continue to return our intelligence agencies back to their core mission: the collection of clandestine foreign intelligence to protect our homeland,” said Sen. Tom Cotton.
“There’s much that goes into a security-layered approach, and as far as I’m concerned, you can never have too many layers,” the village’s police chief told JNS.
Removing sanctions on the anti-Israel United Nations adviser “will undermine important national security and foreign policy interests of the United States,” the Justice Department said.
“Reconstruction financing will not follow where weapons have not been laid down,” warned Nickolay Mladenov, amid a stalled peace process he largely blamed on the Gazan terror group.
Regardless of the findings of a recent Democratic National Committee “autopsy” report, a “majority of Americans, including Democrats, support the U.S.-Israel relationship,” Brian Romick, of Democratic Majority for Israel, told JNS.