Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

US State Department drops ‘Israeli-occupied’ in reference to the Golan Heights

The designation has been changed from “Israeli-occupied” to “Israeli-controlled” in its annual human-rights report.

An old Israeli tank with a flag overlooking the Syrian town of Quneitra in the Golan Heights on Feb. 11, 2018. Photo by Hadas Parush/Flash90.
An old Israeli tank with a flag overlooking the Syrian town of Quneitra in the Golan Heights on Feb. 11, 2018. Photo by Hadas Parush/Flash90.

The U.S. State Department changed its designation of the Golan Heights from “Israeli-occupied” to “Israeli-controlled” in its annual human-rights report, released on Wednesday.

This development comes as the Trump administration has been pressured recently by U.S. lawmakers to officially recognize Israeli sovereignty over the northern territory.

Additionally, the report’s section on the West Bank and Gaza did not label those areas as being “occupied” or under “occupation.”

Michael Kozak, head of the State Department’s human rights and democracy bureau, noted that the lingo in the report does not reflect any policy changes.

“The policy on the status of the territories has not changed,” he told reporters on Wednesday.

The United States uses the term “territories” in referring to the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The Kohelet Policy Forum applauded these changes.

“This is a massive change in how America relates to the conflict,” said the group’s director of international law, Eugene Kontorovich. “It is coming to understand that while Israel and the Palestinians have a dispute, international law does not provide the answers to that dispute. The report also for the first time expresses [skepticism] at the claims and submissions of anti-Israel groups, whose poorly documented allegations had previously been accepted as gospel.”

Emphasis was placed on sweets “to provide troops with a real holiday atmosphere.”
Israel’s military called it a “cynical exploitation of Lebanese civilians.”
An American Jewish Committee spokesman told JNS that the group is “grateful for the severity with which the Justice Department is handling this case.”
NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.