Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

AG mulling charges against MK Cassif for assaulting police officer

Ofer Cassif allegedly struck an officer in the head after being prevented from reaching a protest in 2002.

Joint Arab List Knesset member Ofer Cassif arrives at the Israel Police's Internal Investigations Department in Jerusalem, to file a complaint against officers who allegedly attacked him during a protest, April 11, 2021. Photo by Noam Revkin Fenton/Flash90.
Joint Arab List Knesset member Ofer Cassif arrives at the Israel Police’s Internal Investigations Department in Jerusalem, to file a complaint against officers who allegedly attacked him during a protest, April 11, 2021. Photo by Noam Revkin Fenton/Flash90.

The Jerusalem District Attorney’s Office on Wednesday informed Knesset member Ofer Cassif (Hadash-Ta’al) that the attorney general is considering, subject to a hearing, prosecuting him for assaulting a police officer.

The decision stems from a May 2002 incident in which Cassif is alleged to have struck a police officer in the head after being prevented from participating in a demonstration against a Supreme Court ruling ordering the evacuation of villages on Mount Hebron.

Security forces preparing for the evacuation had restricted the flow of traffic and declared various locations in the area closed military zones. Nevertheless, a demonstration took place, during which a Border Police officer told Cassif that he could not access it with his vehicle. Cassif allegedly got into an argument with the officer before driving slowly towards him and hitting his leg. In response, the officer allegedly struck the hood of the vehicle and shouted at Cassif, who then allegedly got out of the car and struck the officer.

Following an investigation, the Israel Police recommended to Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara that Cassif be prosecuted.

Cassif caused a firestorm in November by declaring that Aryeh Shchupak, 16, was a “victim of the occupation” after being murdered in the terrorist bombings in Jerusalem earlier in the day. Earlier that month, Cassif asserted that Jews living in Judea and Samaria were liable for Palestinian attacks against them as they are not innocent civilians. “They live as a thorn in the throats of the Palestinians,” he said, adding that Palestinian attacks were “not terror.”

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.