Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

AI facial recognition helps identify Nazi gunman in Holocaust execution photo

The photo, known as “The Last Jew in Vinnitsa,” was first revealed during the 1961 trial of Adolf Eichmann to show the cruelty of Nazi mass shootings.

JNS logo

A decades-old mystery surrounding the 1941 photograph long known as “The Last Jew in Vinnitsa”—showing a kneeling Jewish man moments before his execution by a German soldier—has been solved with the help of AI, according to a researcher.

Holocaust photograph
Photograph known as “The Last Jew in Vinnitsa,” depicting a mass execution in the city of Berdichev, Ukraine, on July 28, 1941. Credit: Creative Commons Zero.

The photo first surfaced during the 1961 trial of Adolf Eichmann, when survivor Al Moss submitted it to demonstrate the cruelty of Nazi mass shootings. For years, the identities of both the shooter and the victim remained unknown.

According to new research by Jurgen Matthaus, former head of research at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, the gunman has now been identified as Jakobus Onnen, a 34-year-old former teacher from northern Germany.

Matthaus published his preliminary findings last year, and a living relative of Onnen later provided family photos, which were then matched with 99% confidence using an AI facial recognition tool.

Matthaus’s findings, published in September 2025 in the German-language publication The Journal of Historical Studies, concluded that the photograph was taken during an Einsatzgruppe massacre in the Ukrainian city of Berdichev on July 28, 1941.

Onnen was an SS member who participated in mass executions under the Einsatzgruppe C as it followed the Wehrmacht into Soviet territory. He was killed in 1943.

The victim in the image remains unidentified.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.