Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

UK Conservative Party candidate suspended over defamatory comments

“At the age of 20 on an online forum, I took part in a range of political discussions,” said Aberdeen North candidate Ryan Houghton. “These included terrorism, LGBT rights and anti-Semitism.”

United Kingdom Conservative Party candidate Ryan Houghton. Source: Facebook.
United Kingdom Conservative Party candidate Ryan Houghton. Source: Facebook.

As the Dec. 12 elections in the United Kingdom approach, a Conservative Party candidate has been suspended over social-media posts he made several years ago about the Holocaust, in addition to denigrating other sectors of society.

The Scottish Tories withdrew their backing of Aberdeen North candidate Ryan Houghton, a local councillor, as the remarks were being probed.

“The comments contained in these blogs are unacceptable, and Mr. Houghton has been suspended as a member of the Scottish Conservative Party as a result,” said a spokesperson for the Scottish Conservatives. “The party has also withdrawn its support for his candidacy in Aberdeen North. The Scottish Conservatives deplore all forms of Islamophobia, homophobia and anti-Semitism.”

In a statement, Houghton explained that he made a thread about freedom of speech and comments made by Holocaust-denier David Irving. He noted that “after watching one of his lectures online, I had referenced his view that part of the Holocaust had been fabricated or exaggerated.”

“At the age of 20 on an online forum, I took part in a range of political discussions,” said Houghton. “These included terrorism, LGBT rights and anti-Semitism.”

“I apologize unreservedly for any hurt now caused by these comments and have been in contact with members of the Jewish community in Aberdeen,” he added.

The initial comments were first reported by The National.

The prominent Jewish Democrat says she will use her “seniority and clout” in a district that has long elected Black representatives.
The first such legal move on behalf of a Palestinian against the terror group at the International Criminal Court has gone unanswered since December.
A 25-year-old faces hate crime charges after two Jewish men were attacked near a Hendon shul.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Washington’s top diplomat said.
A Shavuot benefit at Jerusalem’s Tower of David raised funds for HaGal Sheli’s surfing-based rehabilitation programs.
“May this day of faith and renewal bring peace, hope, and strength,” the Foreign Ministry wrote.