Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Hezbollah chief: ‘We will kill’ before giving up weapons

Hassan Nasrallah also accused America of blocking the flow of cash into Lebanon as the pound dropped steeply, leading to a wave of protests.

Hassan Nasrallah
Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah during a discussion with officials from Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei’s office, Sept. 23, 2019. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah issued a warning on Tuesday evening against anyone trying to take advantage of the current unrest in Lebanon to weaken his organization.

“Whoever puts us between the option of withdrawing our weapons or killing us with hunger, we say: ‘Our weapons will remain in our hands and we will not starve; we will kill you,’ ” Nasrallah announced in his speech, a transcript of which was posted on the website of Al-Manar, the Lebanon-based satellite-TV station affiliated with Hezbollah.

Nasrallah also accused the United States of blocking the flow of cash into Lebanon as the Lebanese pound dropped steeply last week, leading to a fresh wave of popular protests.

“Americans are interfering and pressuring Lebanon’s Central Bank (BDL) to prevent it from injecting dollars into markets,” he said. “The U.S. is using Lebanon and its economy to [further its] interests, among [them] Israel’s security and land and maritime borders.”

Addressing U.S. calls for the removal of Hezbollah’s weapons, he said, “resistance arms, for our people, [are] part of our culture, strategic doctrine and deeper than others can imagine.”

Lebanon has seen deep economic and civil unrest in the past year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Unemployment passed 40 percent, banks and other financial institutions have been overrun by protesters, and there is a general expectation of a Hezbollah takeover, according to Mideast experts.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.