Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

IDF kills two terrorists who held murdered hostages in Rafah tunnel

The men’s role in the deaths of the six Israelis is being investigated.

Hamas terrorists who the IDF said held the six murdered hostages in a tunnel in Rafah. Credit: IDF.
Hamas terrorists who the IDF said held the six murdered hostages in a tunnel in Rafah. Credit: IDF.

Israeli forces killed two Hamas terrorists who had held six hostages whose bodies were recovered from a tunnel in Rafah, the southern Gaza Strip, on Sept. 1.

IDF Spokesperson Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari said on Saturday night that the families of Hersh Goldberg-Polin, Eden Yerushalmi, Almog Sarusi, Alexander Lobanov, Carmel Gat and Ori Danino were informed that the two terrorists had been eliminated.

“A day after the murder of the hostages, forces with the 162nd Division identified two terrorists emerging from a nearby tunnel in the Tel Sultan area of Rafah, and killed them in an exchange of fire,” Hagari said in a press conference.

“After investigating the findings from the tunnel and the equipment the terrorists had, we found DNA evidence and several items that belonged to the terrorists we eliminated,” he said.

“Based on the findings and the information we have, it appears that the terrorists we neutralized were in the area where the bodies of the six hostages were found after they were murdered. We are investigating their involvement in the murders. We will pursue and reach everyone involved in this heinous act, and we will not stop until we get them all,” Hagari said.

Six Killed Hostage
Clockwise, from top left: Almog Sarusi, 25; Eden Yerushalmi, 24; Hersh Goldberg-Polin, 23; Ori Danino, 25; Carmel Gat, 40; and Alex Lobanov, 32. Credit: Hostage and Missing Families Forum.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.