Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel announces extension of unemployment benefits

The prime minister said payments would be made through mid-August to “revive the economy” hurt by the coronavirus pandemic.

Then-Israeli Finance Minister Israel Katz and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the opening ceremony for Ramon Airport near Eilat, Jan. 21, 2019. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.
Then-Israeli Finance Minister Israel Katz and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the opening ceremony for Ramon Airport near Eilat, Jan. 21, 2019. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.

Israel will extend eligibility for unemployment benefits to those who lost their jobs as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced on Sunday.

“I agreed with Finance Minister [Israel] Katz to extend the eligibility for unemployment compensation until the middle of August,” Netanyahu said in the statement. “This is part of the steps that we are taking to revive the economy and look after the self-employed and the unemployed. People need to make a living.”

The decision came after a meeting with the heads of the Bank of Israel and National Economic Council, and in light of data from the National Insurance Institute showing that nearly 470,000 Israelis stood to lose their unemployment benefits by August.

The decision is a reversal of an announcement made by the Finance Ministry last month, according to which benefits would not be extended past June.

Since the beginning of the coronavirus lockdowns in mid-March, more than 1 million Israelis have lost their jobs or were put on unpaid leave, with the unemployment rate soaring from around 4 percent to more than 27 percent.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.