Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Watchdog: 31 journalists killed in Israel-Hamas war

Eight journalists have been reported injured and an additional nine are feared missing or detained.

ZAKA Kfar Aza
Members of ZAKA walk through the destruction caused by Hamas terrorists in Kfar Aza near the border with Gaza, as they collect the dead bodies of Israelis on Oct. 15, 2023. Photo by Edi Israel/Flash90.

Thirty-one journalists have been killed in Gaza, Israel and Lebanon since Hamas’s Oct. 7 massacre, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.

Four journalists were killed during the terror group’s invasion of southern Israel, 26 had been killed in the Gaza Strip as of Oct. 30 and one was killed in Lebanon, allegedly in an Israeli strike targeting the Hezbollah terror group.

Eight journalists have been reported injured and an additional nine are feared missing or detained.

“CPJ is also investigating numerous unconfirmed reports of other journalists being killed, missing, detained, hurt, or threatened, and of damage to media offices and journalists’ homes,” according to a statement by the watchdog.

Israel’s Government Press Office (GPO) has processed more than 2,000 journalists who have arrived in the country to cover the conflict.

The leading countries in dispatching war correspondents are the United States (358), Great Britain (281), France (221) and Germany (102).

Other countries that have sent journalists include Turkey (71), Italy (63), Canada (56), India (55), Spain (49), Australia (36), Greece (33), Russia (24), China (19), Belgium (18), Argentina (16), Mexico (10), Azerbaijan (8), Nepal (4), Uruguay (4), New Zealand (3), Georgia (2), Ghana (1), Nigeria (1), Senegal (1) and Singapore (1).

“From the moment they are processed until they leave, the GPO provides the journalists with all of the horrors, the testimony, the pictures and the voices, all in order to prove the absolute justice of Israel in this war on the world’s media platforms,” said GPO director Nitzan Chen.

Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.
“The Alumot Unit will work to make artificial intelligence capabilities accessible to the fighters at the operational edge.”