Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Report: US withholding $105 million in security assistance for Lebanon

The U.S. State and U.S. Defense Departments have been for continuing the aid, while many in the White House have advocated for halting it.

Protesters in Beirut on Oct. 20, 2019. Credit: Shahen Araboghlian via Wikimedia Commons.
Protesters in Beirut on Oct. 20, 2019. Credit: Shahen Araboghlian via Wikimedia Commons.

The United States is withholding $105 million in security assistance for Lebanon, reported Reuters on Thursday, citing two U.S. officials.

This development comes as Israel has reportedly asked the United States and other countries to condition assistance to Lebanon on how its government handles the U.S.-designated terrorist group and Iranian proxy Hezbollah, which is part of the Lebanese government.

Israel has expressed concern that the funding towards the Lebanese Armed Forces have supported Hezbollah. The LAF, which received $100 million last year from the United States, and Hezbollah are known to have cooperated together.

The U.S. State and U.S. Defense Departments have been for continuing the aid, while many in the White House have advocated for halting it, reported Israeli’s Channel 13.

Israel has called for Lebanon to shut down Hezbollah’s precision-missile manufacturing, in addition to cutting ties with the group.

Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri announced on Tuesday afternoon that he is tending his resignation to Lebanese President Michel Aoun amid anti-government protests throughout the country.

The protests began as response against a now-scrapped government plan to tax WhatsApp calls, and expanded into demonstrations against government corruption and economic trouble, which includes Lebanon having one of the highest debt levels globally.

If the terrorist group’s tactics fail to force an Israeli withdrawal from the buffer zone, it may resort to suicide attacks.
Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.