Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Leaked documents expose Jordanian king’s luxury homes in US, Britain

The news came as King Abdullah II was meeting with the World Bank in a bid for aid for Jordan, which is suffering an economic crisis.

King Abdullah II of Jordan in 2018. Photo by Alexandros Michailidis/Shutterstock.
King Abdullah II of Jordan in 2018. Photo by Alexandros Michailidis/Shutterstock.

Leaked documents revealed that Jordan’s King Abdullah II secretly bought more than a dozen luxury homes in the United States and Britain.

Abdullah and other public figures were exposed as holding offshore accounts with the Jordanian king’s assets valued at more than $100 million over the past decade, reported the AP on Monday.

The list of public figures, published on Sunday by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, is being called the “Pandora Papers.”

“Any allegations that link these private properties to public funds or assistance are baseless and deliberate attempts to distort facts,” a statement from the Royal Hashemite Court said Monday, according to the report. The Jordanian media has refrained from covering the story.

The news came out as Abdullah was meeting with David R. Malpass, president of the World Bank, in a bid for financial aid for Jordan, which is in the throes of an economic crisis.

Just last month, the king met with Israeli President Isaac Herzog in Amman, where the two leaders discussed “core issues in the dialogue” between the neighboring countries.

“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.
Shomrim Toronto told JNS that the possibility that the girl’s disappearance is related to targeting of the Jewish community is “not something of concern at the moment.”