Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Ed Dept launches Title VI probe of Cal Poly Humboldt

“We hope this investigation will force Cal Poly to stop sweeping antisemitism under the rug,” stated Kenneth Marcus, chairman of the Brandeis Center.

Founders Hall at Cal Poly Humboldt in Arcata, Calif., July 23, 2022. Credit: Pi.1415926535 via Wikimedia Commons.
Founders Hall at Cal Poly Humboldt in Arcata, Calif., July 23, 2022. Credit: Pi.1415926535 via Wikimedia Commons.

The U.S. Department of Education opened an investigation into California State Polytechnic, Humboldt, last week for alleged Jew-hatred under Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The investigation is in response to a March complaint, which the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights Under Law and Jewish on Campus filed against the public university in Arcata, Calif..

“Not only did the Cal Poly administration refuse to prosecute brazen, violent acts of antisemitism, but they allowed their students to be victimized over and over, offering them nothing but a callous disregard for their continued harassment,” stated Kenneth Marcus, founder and chairman of the Brandeis Center and former assistant U.S. secretary of education for civil rights.

“We hope this investigation will force Cal Poly to stop sweeping antisemitism under the rug, and it will serve as a sign to all universities: indifference to bigotry and hatred will not be tolerated,” he stated.

The complaint alleges that Jewish students were repeatedly attacked, assaulted and harassed, including an incident where a Jewish student was called a “baby killer” and had red paint thrown on him. The student left campus and completed his studies online.

“All students deserve equal access to campus life,” stated Julia Jassey, co-founder and CEO of Jewish on Campus. “Jewish students must be no exception.”

Another incident included in the complaint involved students drawing a circle around a table where Jews were seated and labeling it the “Zio-corner.” According Cal Poly students, anti-Israel protesters also vandalized the campus sukkah two years in a row and stole a ritual item.

The complaint alleges that the school’s administration turned a blind eye, refused to acknowledge the situation and, in some cases, blamed Jewish students for what happened to them.

“The message from the university to Jewish students is clear: downplay your Jewish identity on campus or hide to avoid being targeted because the university will not protect you,” per the official complaint.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.