Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Gantz’s cleaner planned to charge Iranian hackers $7,000 to spy on him

Omri Goren had 14 prior convictions, including for armed robbery, yet was allowed access to Defense Minister Benny Gantz’s home.

Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz speaking at IDF headquarters in Tel Aviv, April 22, 2021. Photo by Tomer Neuberg/Flash90.
Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz speaking at IDF headquarters in Tel Aviv, April 22, 2021. Photo by Tomer Neuberg/Flash90.

Omri Goren, a cleaner formerly employed at the home of Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz, charged Iranian hackers just $7,000 to spy on him.

Goren, 37, told the Iranian-affiliated hacker group Black Shadow that he would install a “worm” on Gantz’s computer. After a representative of the group expressed doubt regarding Goren’s access to the defense minister, the cleaner photographed Gantz’s desk, his computers, his telephone, some packaging on which the computer’s IP address appeared, and Gantz’s city tax bill.

Goren and his wife are the owners of a cleaning services company. Some of their other clients have reported that the couple were clearly in financial distress.

The would-be espionage comprises a failure on the part of the Shin Bet, whose agents apparently did not conduct a background check on the Gorens. Omri Goren has 14 prior convictions, on charges including armed robbery, breaking and entering and theft.

The Shin Bet has accepted responsibility for the incident, emphasizing that there had been no harm to Israel’s national security. The agency said it was drawing immediate conclusions, although it was not clear whether any individuals involved would be held personally accountable.

This article first appeared in Israel Hayom.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.