Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

IDF soldier killed in friendly-fire incident in Judea and Samaria

Initial reports suggested that the soldier, identified as Staff Sgt. Natan Fitoussi, was shot in a terrorist attack.

An Israeli soldier who took part in a counter-terror raid in Jenin in 2018. Credit: Israel Defense Forces.
An Israeli soldier who took part in a counter-terror raid in Jenin in 2018. Credit: Israel Defense Forces.

An Israeli infantry soldier was killed on Monday night in an apparent friendly-fire incident near Tulkarem in Samaria, the military confirmed in a statement.

An initial probe found that the soldier had left an outpost that he was manning, apparently to pray, and was mistakenly shot by another member of his unit upon his return.

He was evacuated to Meir Medical Center in Kfar Saba in critical condition, where he ultimately succumbed to his wounds.

The deceased soldier on Tuesday morning was identified as 20-year-old Natan Fitoussi from Netanya, according to local media.

Preliminary reports had suggested Fitoussi was shot in a terrorist attack and that a manhunt had been launched in response. However, the IDF quickly clarified that his death had been caused by friendly fire.

Two IDF Commando Brigade officers were killed in January in a friendly-fire incident during a patrol near their base in the Jordan Valley.

This article first appeared in Israel Hayom.

The president condemned violence “by a lawless mob in Judea and Samaria,” prompting criticism from the national security minister.
Days earlier, a Jewish security group warned police about a heightened security risk at the Chanukah event.
The prominent Jewish Democrat says she will use her “seniority and clout” in a district that has long elected Black representatives.
The first such legal move on behalf of a Palestinian against the terror group at the International Criminal Court has gone unanswered since December.
A 25-year-old faces hate crime charges after two Jewish men were attacked near a Hendon shul.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Washington’s top diplomat said.