Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Twitter intends to remove posts denying the Holocaust

“We strongly condemn anti-Semitism, and hateful conduct has absolutely no place on our service,” said a platform spokesperson.

Twitter on smartphone. Credit: Pixabay.
Twitter on smartphone. Credit: Pixabay.

Twitter announced last week that it will remove posts that deny the Holocaust.

Bloomberg first reported the move on Oct. 14.

“Our Hateful Conduct Policy prohibits a wide range of behavior, including making references to violent events or types of violence where protected categories were the primary victims, or attempts to deny or diminish such events,” a Twitter spokesperson told the outlet.

“Twitter’s mission is to serve the public conversation and ensure the service is a place where people can express themselves safely,” added the spokesperson. “We strongly condemn anti-Semitism, and hateful conduct has absolutely no place on our service. We also have a robust ‘glorification of violence’ policy in place and take action against content that glorifies or praises historical acts of violence and genocide, including the Holocaust.”

Twitter’s move came just days after Facebook announced that it is banning posts that deny or distort the Holocaust.

Despite the decision, along with Google, the social-media site has declined to participate in a virtual event this week hosted by the U.S. State Department on combating anti-Semitism online.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.