Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel begins rollout of COVID-19 stimulus payments

More than 1 million citizens have already received the grants, with the remainder of the $1.9 million package expected to be disbursed in the coming days.

Israelis shop in Tel Aviv, on July 29, 2020. Photo by Miriam Alster/Flash90.
Israelis shop in Tel Aviv, on July 29, 2020. Photo by Miriam Alster/Flash90.

More than 1 million Israeli citizens woke up on Sunday to find that a one-time government stimulus payment had been deposited into their bank account, according to Israeli media reports.

The country’s National Insurance Institute is expected to disburse the rest of the NIS 6.5 billion ($1.9 billion) stimulus package over the next few days—first to families with children under the age of 18, then to seniors and then to all other eligible citizens.

The government granted final approval to the stimulus plan on Wednesday following a series of amendments to the original proposal introduced on July 15 by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Under the original plan, all Israelis aged 18 and over were to receive a one-time payment of NIS 750 ($218). Couples with one child were to receive NIS 2,000 ($583), rising to NIS 2,500 ($729) for those with two children and NIS 3,000 ($875) for those with three or more.

According to the revised plan, families will receive NIS 500 ($146) for each of their first four children, and another NIS 300 ($87) from the fifth child onward.

Individuals earning more than NIS 651,000 ($191,000) per year will not be eligible to receive the grants.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.