Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Netanyahu announces new stimulus plan: Cash for all

“We need to get the economy moving,” insists Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu • Opponents argue that funds should be distributed only to those in need.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu presenting his stimulus plan in a press conference on July 15, 2020. Source: Facebook.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu presenting his stimulus plan in a press conference on July 15, 2020. Source: Facebook.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a plan on Wednesday night to provide individuals and families with a government grant to help them through the coronavirus crisis and stimulate the economy.

In a televised press conference, Netanyahu said that each citizen 18 and older will receive a one-time payment of NIS 750 ($218); couples with one child will receive a NIS 2,000 ($582); couples with two children will receive NIS 2,500 ($728); and couples with three children or more will receive a NIS 3,000 ($874).

The money will be transferred automatically into the bank accounts of recipients.

“We need to get the economy moving,” said Netanyahu after pointing out that earlier in the day, 380,000 self-employed Israelis and small businesses received grants of up to NIS 7,500 ($2,185).

The money, he said, “encourages consumerism,” which has stagnated due to the fact that people are staying at home. “The moment that they begin to purchase [goods], businesses expand ... This is how the economy works: One wheel sets in motion the next wheel and the next.”

In response to the announcement, the Blue and White Party, headed by Defense Minister Benny Gantz, released the following statement: “Any economic boost for Israeli citizens is welcome, but it must be anchored in a responsible and long-term plan that will ensure their livelihood and resilience is maintained next year as well. As for the grants: Blue and White supports the transfer of money directly to citizens, but it should be done with an emphasis on those whose livelihoods have been harmed—the unemployed and families in need.”

Bank of Israel Governor Professor Amir Yaron also expressed reservations about the plan. In an interview with Army Radio on Thursday morning, Yaron said, “It is more important to assist those in need.”

He also claimed that there are “better and more efficient ways” to increase demand for goods.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.