Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

World Bowls Tour decision to ban Israel reversed after backlash

The local MP said: “This is how you deal with the bullies taking to the streets of OUR country every weekend. Stand up to them.”

The bowling green at the Barlow Institute in Edgworth, England, 1995. Photo by Austen Redman via Wikimedia.
The bowling green at the Barlow Institute in Edgworth, England, 1995. Photo by Austen Redman via Wikimedia.

Following public backlash, the World Bowls Tour (WBT) on Tuesday reversed its decision to exclude Israeli competitors from the world indoor and singles championships in Hopton-on-Sea, England, later this month.

Earlier this week, the organization said that “due to recent challenges experienced by WBT Directors regarding the involvement of Israeli bowlers” and a “significant escalation in related political concerns,” they had decided to withdraw their invitations to Daniel Alomin, Amnon Amar and Itai Rigbi.

That decision sparked significant public backlash, including from World Bowls, the sport’s international federation, which quickly released a statement clarifying that WBT “is not affiliated with World Bowls and is a separate organization that organizes the World Indoor Bowls Championship staged in January each year.

“Their decision to deny entry for some players from Israel to this event in January 2025 is a decision that the WBT Directors have made, and World Bowls has no connection or involvement in this decision.”

World Bowls further emphasized that “all of our members continue to be welcome and eligible to participate in all World Bowls staged events. At our recent World Bowls Junior Indoor Championships in Hong Kong China in early December, we were pleased to have Israel represented at this event.”

UK Lawyers for Israel (UKLFI) wrote to WBT saying that the decision to exclude Israeli competitors was illegal.

Due to the public backlash, WBT quickly reversed its decision, offered “sincere apologies for any upset and offence,” and said it was looking at practical ways to address security concerns.

The Campaign against Antisemitism wrote on X, “While it is shameful that the Israeli athletes had been disinvited in the first place, this is a reassuring end to the matter and a welcome happy note on which to bring 2024 to a close.”

Rupert Lowe, MP for the constituency of Great Yarmouth, where the championship will be held, welcomed the decision. He tweeted, “Fantastic news to finish the year. …This is how you deal with the bullies taking to the streets of OUR country every weekend. Stand up to them, don’t accept their hateful tactics. The Israeli team will be welcomed in Great Yarmouth, and I wish them well for the event.”

The Board of Deputies of British Jews echoed Lowe’s sentiments in a statement, noting that intimidation by pro-Palestinian groups has been affecting the Jewish community, U.K. politicians and businesses with “real or imagined links to Israel” for over a year.

Rolene Marks is a journalist and commentator specializing in Israeli advocacy, global Jewish affairs, and Middle Eastern politics for JNS.org. A passionate advocate for Israel, she frequently appears on radio, television, and in print to provide insightful analysis and counter media bias. She is a member of Media Team Israel and Truth be Told, both dedicated to promoting accurate reporting on Israel. Additionally, she serves as the Chairperson of WIZO’s Hasbara Division, where she leads efforts in public diplomacy and advocacy.
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.
“The Alumot Unit will work to make artificial intelligence capabilities accessible to the fighters at the operational edge.”