Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Thousands of Israeli students quarantined after COVID-19 cases found in schools

Jerusalem, Hadera and Beersheva shutter schools after a rash of new cases, raising concerns over a “second wave” of the outbreak.

Magen David Adom medical workers at a drive-through coronavirus test site in Jerusalem, May 30, 2020. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.
Magen David Adom medical workers at a drive-through coronavirus test site in Jerusalem, May 30, 2020. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.

Multiple schools have been closed in Israel and thousands of students sent into quarantine after multiple students and staff members at schools in Jerusalem, Beersheva and Hadera tested positive for coronavirus.

In Hadera, a high school student’s diagnosis sent 2,180 students and teachers into two weeks of isolation, and led to the temporary closure of the school.

More than 130 students and staff members at Jerusalem’s Gymnasia Rehavia high school were diagnosed with coronavirus last week, leading the school to be closed. Subsequent testing of students at the Gymnasium’s feeder school—the Paula Ben-Gurion-Rehavia elementary school—revealed that one student had the virus.

Additional confirmed cases include a Jerusalem dance teacher whose students were sent into isolation, as well as hundreds of staff and students at several schools in Beersheva.

Recent testing has turned up cases in 32 day-care and school facilities around Israel, according to Channel 12 news.

As of Monday morning, 35 new cases had been diagnosed since Sunday evening.

Israeli Health Minister Yuli Edelstein announced on Sunday that virus testing would be expanded to those not showing symptoms, and warned Israelis to remain diligent in maintaining social distancing and hygiene standards.

Additionally, Edelstein announced that anyone in the vicinity of an infected person in schools, assisted-living facilities, nursing homes and welfare residential facilities would also be tested.

Whereas drive-through testing stations had been shut down due to significantly decreased numbers of coronavirus cases in recent weeks, four were reopened Saturday in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Beersheva and Haifa.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.