Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israeli unemployment rate soars to 18.6 percent; official calls for total lockdown

A total of 615,834 people have registered as jobless so far in March.

A ticker screen in the lobby of the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, March 15, 2020. Photo by Flash90.
A ticker screen in the lobby of the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, March 15, 2020. Photo by Flash90.

The unemployment rate in Israel reached 18.6 percent on Tuesday with 91 percent of those now out of work being put on unpaid leave as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

The nation’s unemployment rate before the virus outbreak in the country was just 3.4 percent in February.

Israel’s National Employment Service registered 31,146 unemployed workers on Tuesday, with a total of 615,834 people registering as jobless so far in March, the business daily Globes reported.

On Sunday, 54,035 people registered as unemployed with another 38,016 doing so on Monday.

Rami Garor, director general of the Israel National Employment Service, said according to the report, “It appears that the number of new registrants fell further yesterday. By Passover, however, we believe that the number of new job seekers resulting from the coronavirus will reach 1 million, given that leading companies in Israel have announced that they are closing their branches and centers.”

Meanwhile, the Health Ministry’s deputy director-general Itamar Grotto, was quoted by Ynet as calling for a full seven-day lockdown and have the military ration out food.

He claimed that it was the only way to stop the spread of the virus and to allow people to return to their lives.

“I understand this sounds like an extreme suggestion, but the ministry’s position is clear. It will, however, require the proper preparation before it can be put into effect,” said Grotto, according to the report. “Our goal is that by the end of Passover we will allow certain groups to return to their daily lives based on data gathered and how vital these groups are to the economy.”

If the terrorist group’s tactics fail to force an Israeli withdrawal from the buffer zone, it may resort to suicide attacks.
Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.