Two brothers, ages 2 and 6, were hospitalized on Monday at Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan’s Tel Hashomer neighborhood after eating cannabis cookies.
According to their mother, the boys ate the cookies by mistake, became dizzy and fell on furniture. She said the younger child ate half a cookie while the older boy ate a whole one.
The 2-year-old is in serious condition while his brother remains in moderate condition.
Edible forms of cannabis, particularly in high concentrations, can be harmful, especially to children. Pediatricians say that such edibles should be clearly labeled and stored safely away from kids like other medications and toxic products.
Medical cannabis to treat certain illnesses has been available to permit holders in Israel since the 1990s. Recreational use of marijuana remains illegal, although it was partially decriminalized in 2017 with first-time offenders being subject to fines and treatment rather than criminal charges.